These spicy veggie tostadas are surprisingly quick and easy to make, especially if you’ve cooked the lentils ahead of time. Optionally you can top them with a yummy, tangy avocado cilantro sauce and your favorites like salsa, lettuce or cabbage, onion, and peppers.
- 1 can vegetarian beans (I like Trader Joe’s Vegetarian Chili)
- 2 cups cooked green lentils (or approx. 2 15 oz cans)
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves fresh chopped garlic
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- sea salt and pepper
- 6 organic corn or flour tortillas
- chopped red pepper
- shredded lettuce or chopped cabbage
- shredded vegan cheese
Optional Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Optional: 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed
Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
Lightly grease a cookie sheet with avocado oil, or whatever oil you prefer (not canola oil, please!)
Place as many tortillas as you need on your cookie sheet, and bake until lightly brown and crispy. Watch carefully so they don’t burn. Once they’re crisp, remove from the oven and keep warm on a plate with a towel.
Chop the onion and garlic, lightly steam in water, in a large pan. When onions are cooked, add the vegetarian beans and cooked lentils to the pan, then add spices and heat for 10 minutes or so.
Prepare all your toppings.
When everything is ready, spread some beans over the crispy tortillas.
Add a scoop of the lentils to each tortilla. Top with desired toppings such as peppers, cilantro, avocado, salsa, or the optional Avocado Cilantro sauce.
Serve and enjoy!